Coping with Stress
June 1, 2020
For many seniors across the country, the ongoing healthcare pandemic may be causing significant stress and anxiety. However, the first step in coping with these overwhelming and sometimes debilitating emotions is to recognize symptoms of stress, which may include one or more of the following:
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Hot flashes or chills
- Shortness of breath
- Excessive worry
However, there are many ways to cope with stress:
- Get enough sleep. Adequate sleep helps the body rest and recharge.
- Maintain a regular exercise regimen.
- Maintain a healthy diet and eat nutritious snacks instead of junk food.
- Try meditating.
- Try relaxation techniques: a common technique involves visualization and mindful breathing. For example, picture in your mind a scene you find peaceful and focus on this with eyes closed for 10-20 minutes.
- Maintain support from family, friends and loved ones who can provide strong emotional or spiritual support.