National Preparedness Month: Preparing For Disaster
August 29, 2018
During this year’s hurricane and tornado season, here are some tips to help prepare for almost anything:
- First-aid kit, flashlight, whistle, matches, candles, radio with batteries, work gloves (supplies for at least a week)
- Nonperishable food such as granola bars and bottled water
- Pen and notebook
- An extra set of eye-glasses
- Copies of prescriptions, insurance cards, medical information and contact list, including caregiver’s and physicians’; names and phone numbers
- Wear shoes
- Prepare a cooler for insulin (if applicable)
- If relocated: call your doctors as soon as possible to maintain the continuity of your medical care.
Medicine and supplies should be stored in a defined location to be easily gathered if you must quickly evacuate home or work.
No one can fully anticipate a natural disaster, but taking the time to prepare could make a huge difference in an emergency.